Thursday, April 12, 2012

Weather

It's April now... storm season. As scary as the weather can sometimes be around here in Oklahoma, I do love how exciting it is. You won't get bored since it is constantly changing. You have to stay on your toes. I have personally seen 4 tornadoes since I have lived here. (20 years). I also almost drove into one, not knowing it was in front of me since it was rain wrapped.


 When I was working in retail a tornado was getting ready to pass right over the top of our building. People here can be so blase about it. I started to lock up since we were empty to evacuate. We were going to the cooler in the pizza place behind us. A car pulled up and wanted to come in to shop. I pointed at the tornado and said we are closing, follow me. They got mad and left!

I avidly watch the forecasts. I just want to make sure that I am prepared to be ready to take precautions. My children know our bad weather plan.

Weathermen have gotten good at determining when we are getting ready to get bad weather. Last year they knew a week in advance it was coming Sure enough, we ended up with F5 tornadoes sweeping houses off their foundation and killing people.

There are several resources you can use at work. NOAA is a great site you can use on your computer:
7-Day Forecast for Latitude 35.52°N and Longitude 97.76°W

Local new shows often have web sites and of course the radio is a great standby. You can get a battery powered one and continue to use even if you loose power.
Weather.com posted this today about hail so heavy it looks like snow drifts. You should check it out. This happened in Texas.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/feet-of-hail-northwest-texas_2012-04-12



Please be aware, stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment