Thursday, November 22, 2012

Tradition
 
Before you start to read this blog you must start playing this clip from Fiddler on the roof. Not just because I love the musical but because this song is wonderful.
 
Every year during the holidays we have something we call Spider salad. No, there are no spiders in the salad. What happened after my dad and step mom Connie got married they had everyone over at their house for Thanksgiving that year. The meal was ready and everyone went to sit down and we started to say grace. I happen to glance up and I see a huge spider hanging down from the ceiling over this gorgeous bowl of cranberry salad so I let out a scream. My dad came over and killed it but ever since then we have spider salad at thanksgiving.
 
 
It's pretty easy to make:
1 bag of cranberries chopped.
4 large apples
2 cups of sugar (not pictured)
1 bag of mini marshmallows
16oz cool whip

 
Chop up the apples and cranberries and let them soak in the sugar over night.
Drain off liquids in the morning.

 
Mix in the marshmallows and walnuts.

 
Isn't it pretty

 
Then fold on the cool whip.

Yum!
I think part of what makes the holidays special is the things you do only during that time. If you don't have any then start one! Spider salad just started with a scream but now Thanksgiving would not be the same without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment